All-Day Workshop and Concert
featuring Eric Mandat
Northeastern Illinois University
Fine Arts Building
5500 North Saint Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL. 60625
9:30-10:00 am: Registration
10:15-12:15 am: Multi-phonics
12:15-1:15 pm: Lunch/Hang Out with Eric Mandat (brown bag)
1:30-2:30 pm: Microtones and Pitch Flexibility
2:45-3:30 pm: Circular Breathing
3:45-5:15 pm: Mini-Sessions with Mandat and individual practice
5:30 – 6:30 pm: Extreme Articulation: Double tonguing and Slap tonguing
7:30 pm: Eric Mandat and the Chicago Clarinet Ensemble
Full Participant: * $115 (Includes individualized help from Eric Mandat)
Audit: $55 (may attend everything as an observer only)
*Due to the interactive nature of this workshop, full participant registration is limited to 20
Rules & Important Information*
- Applicants must be in high school.
- Applicants must submit a video recording of Concertino in E-flat Major Op. 26, by Carl Maria von Weber on or before April 21, 2017, 11:59pm CST.
- Piano accompaniment is encouraged, but not required.
- Application fee is $25.00 USD. A payment invoice will be sent after all application materials have been received.
- Video submissions must be uploaded to YouTube. Please include a link to your video in the application form below.
- All applications and payment must be received by April 21, 2017, 11:59pm CST.
- In order to be eligible to receive the grand prize of $500 USD, the winner is required to perform at the Chicago Clarinet Ensemble Gala Concert on May 12th, 2017.
- Videos must be recorded in one continuous take.
- Videos may not be edited, enhanced, cut, or in any way altered.
- While professional recording equipment is not required, quality of recording and recording venue is important to consider. Choose a space and choose equipment which will most accurately represent how you sound. For tips on how to create an audition video, please view the video, “How to Create an Awesome Prescreen Recording,” at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKjWN_J-ZWA&feature=youtu.be
- Please set video privacy settings to “unlisted” at the time of application. For instructions on how to post videos and edit privacy settings for YouTube videos, please visit https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
*Failure to follow competition policies and procedures will result in disqualification.
Eligibility: Any combination of woodwind ensembles ranging from a minimum of 3 to a maximum of 8 players. In lieu of screening recordings, each group must send a short referral/recommendation letter from a teacher or professional reference, or a link to a live performance. Please send the letter, via email, to Dr. Rose Sperrazza, email@example.com. Applications may be filled out and submitted on line (see below).
Repertoire: Original or transcriptions are acceptable. Please choose repertoire that shows the group at its best within the 8-minute time limit. Performances that exceed 8 minutes will be disqualified.
Date/Location: The competition will be held at Northeastern Illinois University, 3701 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue, Chicago, IL 60659. on October 22, 2016 at 3:00PM. The competition will be open to audience members and begins at 3:00PM. Each group will be notified of acceptance within one week of application submission.
Requirements: There are no age restrictions. Groups of all experience levels are welcome but please be advised that letters of recommendation will be strongly considered. There is a $15 fee per member of each ensemble. Payment may be in the form of check (Chicago Clarinet Ensemble) or Pay Pal (you will be invoiced after acceptance). Payment must be made in full within 5 business days of the ensemble’s official acceptance.
Prize: $1,000. Taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners.
Adjudicators: To Be Announced
Deadline: October 17, 2016 (repertoire list can be sent after this date)
Transportation and Lodging: Participants from outside the Chicago area must make their own hotel, transportation and meal arrangements. Northeastern Illinois University does not have dormitories. We recommend the Holiday Inn of Skokie, Illinois due to its proximity to the university. We may be able to arrange a shuttle to and from the competition. Holiday Inn